Airwar over Denmark

Airwar over Denmark

 By Søren C. Flensted


1939-1940 Updated 9/4-24
1941 Updated 28/4-22
1942 Updated 17/8-23
1943 Updated 15/4-24
1944 Updated 15/4-24
1945 Updated 4/12-22

1940 New 30/11-23
1941 New 23/7-21
1942 Updated 19/3-24
1943 Updated 28/1-23
1944 Updated 23/7-23
1945 Updated 16/7-23

Books  New Book by Steve Smith

Search this site by entering search words:

powered by FreeFind

Mosquito IV DK299 crash landed near Rejsby 11/7-1942.

The aircraft belonged to RAF 105 Sqn. Bomber Command and was coded GB-S.
T/O 17:31 Horsham. OP: Flensburg.

With two more Mosquitos DK299 crewed by Pilot F/Lt George P. Hughes MID and Observer F/O Thomas A. Gabe were to form second wave in a attack on the U-boat pens in Flensburg.
First wave completed their attack while second wave suffered from poor weather, and GB-P turned back.
A Mosquito piloted by F/Sgt Rowland was the target for flak over Sylt, and when he approached Emmebül, he hit a chimney. A propeller blade had been bent and he had to slow down.
Hughes and Rowland believed that they were over Germany and chose to attack a secondary target. They choose Tønder rail way station in Denmark.
After the attack Rowland returned to England on one engine.
DK299 followed the railroad to the north and south of Skærbæk it attacked a train. The bombs hit the locomotive and killed the driver while the stoker died from burns two days later.
Meanwhile a German Bf 109G-1 fighter piloted by Unteroffizier Herbert Biermann of 2./JG 1 had closed in behind the Mosquito and opened fire.
Apparently he dammaged it badly enough to make Hughes try to crash land the aircraft south of Rejsby å (River) at 19:09.
The Mosquito skidded across the fields at high speed, crossed the river and hit the opposite bank, and broke up.


                                   (Peter Lund)

Pilot F/Lt George P. Hughes

When local people arrived and pulled the flyers from the wreck one was dead while the other one was still breathing. The police was called for and Constable Lassen arrived in a ambulance to take the surviving flyer to the hospital in Ribe.
The flyer was however dead on arrival. Hughes and Gabe were both laid to rest in Fovrfelt cemetery in Esbjerg on 16/7-1942.



Pictures above: Germans dismantling the badly damaged Mosquito








Sources : CWGC. BE. LBUK. AS 65-72. RL 19/454+472. Peter Lund, Skærbæk



Back to 1942

Top of page
Top of page



  Copyright  ©  Søren C. Flensted 2004 - 2024